Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Reliable Wife

I finished this novel this afternoon.  It was a weird one but I liked it.  It starts out innocently enough. In the early 1900s Ralph Truitt wants a wife so he places an ad in a newspaper.  Catherine Land answers that ad and agrees to move to Wisconsin be his wife.

What isn't obvious, at first, is the secret agenda they both have.  And that's what makes this book fascinating.  That and its sensuality.  Phew!  I needed a cold shower after some of the scenes.

The writing is spare but beautiful.  Simple but rich.  Stark but warm.

  

2 comments:

Literary Feline said...

I've had my eye on this one and was wondering if it would be something I'd like. I am glad you liked it, Linda. I'll have to definitely give it a try.

Darlene said...

I'm glad you liked it Linda. I've heard from a few people that they liked it. It's sitting on my shelf somewhere to read one of these days.