Sunday, October 26, 2008

Memory Lane





It's 2:15 on Sunday morning. I woke up an hour ago and couldn't get back to sleep so got up to read for a bit. It's stormy out and I can hear the rain hitting the windows.




This was a quick read but diffferent and enjoyable. Anna is the middle child of three girls. She's shy and practically invisible. How she deals with this invisibility and overcomes it makes for an interesting young-adult story.

I'm glad my former student lent it to me. Thanks, Elise!

I'm slogging through Last Breath and am almost ready to abandon it. For some reason, I just can't get into it.

With retirement looming and a home in Florida to pay for, I've decided not to buy any more books (except when I get gift cards!) but to make use of the library instead. So, one afternoon this week I visited the library in town for the first time in about 30 years. Unbelievably, they still had my old registration card from when I was about 6 years old. It was a mess with several addresses so the librarian decided to make a new one for me and I asked her for the old one to use in my visual journal. I got a kick out of my signature and business address! St. Patrick's is the elementary school I attended. Here's a picture of the page:






















These are the three books I picked up at the library this week.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

What a wonderful post Linda. The Woman in the Wall looks interesting-the cover itself seems to indicate invisibility to me the way she is standing.

I love the page from your visual journal-it's awesome. Isn't it fun to go down memory lane like that. I haven't been using my library card a lot lately. They must be wondering where I am but I've been gettting so many books sent to me I haven't needed to but I sure do love the library.

The three books you got are great. I liked Charley's Web and well you know I just read Testimony. I have the Billie Letts one but haven't read it yet. I'll be looking for your review.

Have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Well, you know me, I'm a library groupie. :) I go once a week and my kids two a month. They pick up more books than I do. They are like book camels. I'm the weekly person who carries the read ones back...lol!

Literary Feline said...

Although I am sure you much rather would have been sleeping at such a early hour, a storm outside and a quiet house sound like a perfect reading opportunity.

Thirty years is a long time to be away from the library in town! I think I was last in the local one here two, maybe three years ago. I've been getting so many free books lately that my buying habit hasn't been as great--which is a good thing. Unfortunately, it hasn't completely put a stop to it.

Have a great week, Linda!

Cheryl said...

I read Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts.

Can't wait to read what you thought of her latest