Sunday, October 19, 2008

Here Comes Winter!


It's 7 am here in northern NH and the temperature is 20 degrees! There is a layer of frost on everything and just about all the leaves are off the trees.


It took me all week to finish this book and it wasn't because I didn't like it; I was just so darn tired from closing camp, reorganizing things at home, teaching school, and attending meetings. Finally, yesterday afternoon I had a chance to sit and read for an hour and managed to get through it without falling asleep.

This is one fast-paced book that takes place in the space of twenty-four hours. The thing with Iles's books is that his characters are so very human. They make mistakes and do things that make me squirm but I can't help liking them anyway because they never forget to be noble in spite of their downfalls.

Last night while the Red Sox game was on I started The Woman in the Wall by Patrice Kindl. This young-adult book was loaned to me by a former student who has difficulties with reading. She comes in to school to visit every once in a while and just gushed about how she loved this book. It didn't look that appealing to me but I felt that I should give it a try. I read about half last night and should get it finished tonight.

And, you know what? She was right; I'm enjoying it!

Today, my husband and I are going to North Conway to ride on the lunch train. Our daughter is in charge of the food service and she made reservations for us. While I've been typing this post, the sun has come out and turned the morning into a strawberry so it should be a beautiful trip.

4 comments:

The Bookworm said...

wow, 20degrees...thats cold!
Third Degree sounds like an interesting read.
enjoy your trip, that sounds like fun.
http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Darlene said...

Hi Linda, it's 17 degrees here this morning so we're pretty close. It's definitely nippy out, our leaaves are pretty much gone too. A few stragglers are holding on.

Glad you enjoyed Third Degree-I did. I can't wait to hear about this other book you're reading. I've never heard of it.

Have fun on the lunch train-that sounds like such fun.

Cheryl said...

I have not read this book but want to. I will have to check it out soon. Good review

It sounds like you will have a fun day. Enjoy

Anonymous said...

I haven't read a book by this author in a long time...and I really miss his writing.

Stay warm!