Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Am Nujood, Private, Sizzling Sixteen, Ballistics


Holy Cow, I've been lax in updating this blog!  Yes, I've been busy with traveling and other things but...really, I think I just got summer lazy.

I pretty much read this book in one day.  It's told through Nujood's innocent eyes and that makes it even more horrible.  The young Yemeni girl is married off by her father to a 30-year-old man who promises not to touch her until she reaches puberty.  Of course, he was lying and poor Nujood has to suffer his rape every night with her mother-in-law listening to her screams.

She finally escapes to the court and a kind judge and a woman lawyer help her get a divorce.  Really, so chilling to know this is going on in the world and it's perfectly legal!

I downloaded this novel for my plane ride and almost read the whole thing on my flight.  Love that uninterrupted reading time! 

Jack Morgan, an Afghanistan veteran, inherits a couple million dollars from his father and revives his private detective agency known as Private.  He only takes high-profile cases for the rich and famous.  The novel moves quickly through several of his cases and at the same time unravels the mystery behind Jack's nightmares of the war.

This was the perfect read to make a plane ride fly by!


The reason I went to Florida was to visit with my mom who is in an assisted-living facility.  My sister, who lives nearby, had warned me about my mom's mental deterioration and she wasn't exaggerating.  My mom is now in her own world but is not in pain and is kept clean and she seems happy.  Sad for me to see, though.  So, I needed something light-hearted to read next.  Stephanie Plum and her crew to the rescue!
In this edition of the series Vinnie has been kidnapped because he owes over a million dollars to his bookie.  Stephanie, Lula, and Connie must find him and find some money to keep the bail bonds office open so they'll have jobs. 

As usual the characters cracked me up and gave me the chuckles I needed.


I bought this book over a year ago and read it once, then, but needed some poetry last week so I downloaded this collection and read the whole thing, again.  I love Billy Collins!  His writing is simple and ordinary and speaks to me.  He has an eye for the everyday little moments that make up the big emotions of our lives.
Phew!  Caught up, finally!  My husband is in Florida, himself, this week visiting his dad so I've got some nice, quiet time to read.  I sat in bed last night reading as long as I wanted with no one bugging me to turn the light off.  Such a treat! 

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

Lazy summers are among the best. :-)

I have heard of I Am Nujood and been wondering about it, so was glad to come across your thoughts of the book, Linda. And you can't go wrong with a James Patterson book on a plane ride! I still need to read number 15 in the Stephanie Plum series. I may just be ready for a good laugh. I'm not familiar with Billy Collins, but will definitely check Ballistics out.

I am sorry about your mom. It's so hard seeing them get older and not being quite the same as we remembered them growing up. My thoughts are with you, Linda.

Have a great week!