Sunday, August 15, 2010

Fly Away Home

The title of this book is kind of ironic because my mom died a few days ago and it gives me solace to think of her flying away home to my dad, who died 13 years ago.  Six years ago my mom had cancer and since that time she has suffered from multiple health issues.  Finally, she's at peace and pain free.

The book itself was good!  It's told from three different points of view: a mom and her two daughters.  Sylvie is the wife of a US senator.  When she hears of his extra-marital affair, she must come to terms with her own life. 

Her older daughter, Diana, is a doctor, married to a man she doesn't love.  They have a little boy and she's having an affair with a medical student.  The news of her father's affair forces her to examine her own.

Sylvie's younger daughter, Lizzie, has just been released from a drug rehabilitation facility...and not for the first time.  When she hears of her father's infidelity, she realizes that she's not the only screw-up in the family and that helps her as she tries to live an unaddicted life.

Jennifer Weiner knows how to tell a story that grabs the reader right from the first page and never lets go.

As I read about these three women negotiating the avenues of their lives and finding their way to truthfulness, my mom was on her own journey.  Fly away home, Mom! 

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Oh, I am so sorry, Linda, to hear about your mother. I should have read this post of yours first. Please accept my condolences.

I am glad you were able to find solace in Fly Away Home during such a difficult time. I haven't read anything by Jennifer Weiner, but I have heard great things about her books.

Take care of yourself, Linda. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry to hear your news. *hug* Take care of yourself, and if you need anything from the blogosphere we're here.

Oh, and I love Jennifer Weiner. Glad she's got another book out - thanks for the rec.

Darlene said...

Linda, I am so sorry to hear about your mother. My thoughts and prayers are with you. If you need anything just let me know. I'm glad you were able to find solace in this novel. Hugs.

Laura said...

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Lisa. I, too, had a mother who battled with cancer. Fortunately, she is now in her 5th year of remission. Best of luck with coping with the new changes in your life.