Thursday, August 21, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


BTT this week is asking us about our earliest library memories.

I started reading voraciously in the fifth grade. This was back in the late 50's and I was allowed to walk to the library by myself. I was ten years old and the library was at least a mile away!

But so worth it!

It was my second home. I can remember staring at all the books there and feeling so rich.

Most of the time I'd stay a couple hours just running my fingers over the spines and pulling a book out occasionally to look it over, taking my time to pick out the four I would check out.

Sometimes I'd sit and begin one right there delaying the time when I'd have to return home to do my chores or homework.

I wanted this place to be my bedroom.

But, alas, I'd eventually leave,

walk through the vacant lot between the fire station and the bowling alley,

become a tightrope walker as I balanced on the train tracks,

cut through a yard near my elementary school,

stop at Bob's store for a York Peppermint Patty,

take a shortcut by Julie's Cafe,

cross more train tracks,

meander up a wooded path hoping the old men who lived in shacks weren't outside,

emerge onto Wight St. and walk up the sidewalk for awhile,

then cross the heavily-travelled route 110 onto Fifth Avenue

and I'd be back home from the library.

6 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Good times.

BooksPlease said...

I was allowed to go to the library on my own too - the world seemed a safer place then, but I do remember being warned not to speak to strangers.

I've always felt at home in a library.

gautami tripathy said...

I know those feelings. Wonderful, isn't it?

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I always take my time choosing a book in the library.

TC said...

I came to read your 3WW, but it couldn't complete the request and I can't find it? If you wanted to leave the URL on my blog, I'd love to read what you wrote this week! :)

Literary Feline said...

What a wonderful post, Linda! The library I frequented as a child was too far away for me to walk to--but that was probably better since sometimes I checked out so many books that carrying them home might have been a problem. :-)