Sunday, August 7, 2011

Think of a Number and A Stolen Life

I thought for sure I'd like this book.  A diabolical bad guy sends letters to someone he hates telling him to think of a number between 1 and 1000.  After coming up with the first number that pops into his head, he then has to open another envelope and it reveals that very same number.  My kind of book, right?  Nope!  I just couldn't get into it.

The writing is kind of old fashioned and I didn't like the characters.  There was too much introspection by the main character, a retired detective.   I don't know; maybe it was me and I just wasn't in the mood for this kind of book but I was very disappointed.


So, I moved on to this book, instead, and read it quickly. It's partly written from a young girl's point of view and partly from Jaycee as she is today twenty years after being abducted and turned into a sex slave for the demented Phillip Garrido.  How Jaycee survives is an astonishing story. 

I so admire her attitude and ability to endure and come out the other side fairly intact.

Her remarkable spirit shines through.



The last couple weeks have been crazy.  We watched my mother-in-law's health deline quickly from independence to not even being able to walk.  She ended up in the hospital twice and is in a rehab facility, now, to help her get stronger.  All the tests came back negative so, hopefully, she'll recuperate.  In the mean time, we have to care for my father-in-law who suffered a mild stroke last year and lost his short-term memory.

We also had a wedding in the middle of all this.  My brother's son got married.  It was a beautiful ceremony. 

So, I haven't had an awful lot of time to read.  So, I'm giving myself a kick in the butt to get off this computer and do just that!

2 comments:

Ryan said...

I also disliked Think of a Number. Should have been called Written by the Numbers. A good alternative is Lush Life by Richard Price.

Darlene said...

Im reading A Stolen Life as well. Her spirit to go on after all she has endured is truly amazing.

Sorry to hear about your MIL I'll keep her in my prayers.