Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Lover's Dictionary

This was a diffferent book!  It is a dictionary but the author just chose certain words.  It starts with A words but instead of a definition, he describes something happening in the main character's life that relates to that word.  We learn right away that the main character is just beginning a relationship with a girl (you) he meets online.  Then, shortly after that, we find out she's pregnant. 

The little snippets of info all combine to paint a picture of their relationship.  I liked the uniqueness of this book but couldn't realy get into the characters.  I guess I expected more plot and less little peeks into their lives.  By the end, I was even more confused than at the beginning.  So, basically, it was a disappointment but maybe I just need to read it again.  It's very short so that's a possibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved this book and was curious to see what you'd think of it. I thought a lot of what he wrote was very raw, very real, and I enjoyed feeling the book was very 'honest' about the nitty gritty of relationships.

Ελλάδα said...

The Lover's Dictionary is not fun or lighthearted; it is real and full of aching and pain, but also the budding curiosity of new love and the hope for a forever. David Levithan is a force to be reckoned with and this book showcases that. Each page brought with it another line of inspiration or a few words that just jumped out and grabbed me. I don't even have a favorite line.