Saturday, December 18, 2010

Unbroken

I can't believe how long it took me to read this book.  It's not that I didn't like it because it was excellent but, for some reason, I just couldn't read it for long periods of time.  Plus, we've been babysitting Kylie almost every weekend and it's really hard to read when she's around.

This is the true story of Louis Zamperini, Olympic hopeful, and POW in WWII.  He went through horrors first by floating on a raft for months in the Pacific and then being captured by the Japanese and thrown into a prisoner-of-war camp where the conditions and treatment were the worst.  It's a wonder he even survived at all.  I found the book facinating.  The info is interesting and at no point was it boring.  I guess the terrible things he went through were just so bad that I could only read for a little bit before needing a break.  My mind just didn't want to accept it.