Sunday, April 18, 2010

House Rules

I got back from Florida on Thursday evening and woke up to snow on Friday morning.  And it's been snow showering ever since.  That's New England weather for you!

I started this book before my Kindle mishap and didn't finish it until I got back from my trip.  It's not that I didn't enjoy it; it's just that I didn't have much time to read except on the airplane.  Plus, it's a long book.

Jacob Hunt has Asperger's Syndrome and is accused of murder.  The story is told through his eyes and the eyes of several characters: his mom, Emma; his brother, Theo; his lawyer, Oliver; and a detective, Rich.  They are all interesting and keep the novel moving forward.

I loved all the info about Asperger's and the fact that we experience it, somewhat, through Jacob. 

What I missed in this Jodi Picoult book is her exquisite style.  There are very few unusual metaphors or unique similes.  It reads almost like a James Patterson novel.  It feels like she just wanted to tell the damn story and get her paycheck.

That said, however, I did enjoy it although I felt a bit let down by the ending.  It just seemed abrupt and anticlimactic. 

And that picture on the cover?  Jacob is 18!  Sure, it talks about him as he is growing up but the major focus of the book is the present.  I found that kind of misleading.

Okay, I'll stop complaining now and move on to my next book!  Will I read another Picoult novel?  Absolutely!  If this one had been written by anyone else, I'd have loved it and not had any problem with it.  It's just that I know she can do so much better.

I'm on school vacation this week so, hopefully, will get lots of reading in.  Enjoy your week!

2 comments:

Darlene said...

Snow- yuck! It's actually been beautiful here. I've been able to sit out on my nice new lounger and get some sun. Hope your weather improves soon!

I've been debating on downloading House Rules. I still haven't read Handle with Care. Well I'll probably still get it although I did say a while ago I wasn't going to read any more of hers. lol.

Have a great week Linda!

Entertainment news UK said...

We had snow here in ye old England too this year, which isn't exactly what we're used to.

House Rules sounds good. I really liked The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Moonlight and it sounds like there are some similar themes.