Saturday, March 13, 2010

Uglies

Good morning a day early.  Kylie is coming to visit overnight so I thought I'd update this blog before I'm too busy.


One of my students recommended this series to me.  She said she liked it much better than the Twilight one so I downloaded Uglies.  I had a preconceived notion that it would be about cliquey girls bullying less pretty ones and the message would be that true beauty is on the inside not the outside.

Well, the message was right but the premise was wrong.  This YA novel is set in the future where all adolescents are considered ugly.  They must live together in Uglytown until they turn 16, at which point they are given an operation to make them Pretty.  They then move to New Pretty Town and finish their teenage years partying and doing whatever they please.

Tally Youngblood is only months away from her sixteenth birthday when she meets Shay who is the same age as her.  Shay tells her about David and a secret settlement where Uglies, who do not want to become pretty, can escape to.  Even though Tally is anxoius to become pretty, she is forced to betray her friend and lead the powers-that-be to David and the others.

Lots of adventure and fast action keep this book moving and not boring.  While sci-fi is not my genre of choice, I still enjoyed this book and will read the next installment one of these days.

Have a good weekend.  Time for me to get dressed and go to pick Kylie up.  Can't wait to see her!

2 comments:

Darlene said...

I really enjoyed Uglies. The next in the series is pretty good too although not as good as Uglies.

I hope you had a nice time with Kylie and have a great week Linda.

Literary Feline said...

I honestly never really paid attention to what this one was about until I read your review. It sounds like an interesting premise. I am glad you enjoyed it, Linda!

I hope you have a great week!