Sunday, October 11, 2009

Shanghai Girls



This is our last weekend at camp. We'll be closing up tomorrow and I won't see the ocean again until May. Sad, sad, sad.

Shanghai Grils is a very interesting book. I had no idea what immigrants went through when they entered our country. This book tells the story of two sisters, Pearl and May, and how they escaped China at the beginning of WWII.

The characters are well drawn and the writing is excellent, like I've come to expect from Lisa See. I thought the ending was a bit abrupt but, other than that, this is a great book.

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

Sorry no more sunny weather and beach. Glad to hear you liked this book. I have it on my wish list

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you ended up liking this one, Linda. I can't wait to read it. I hope you have a good week. I'd be sad to be leaving the ocean too. :-(

Darlene said...

Glad you enjoyed it Linda. I have yet to read it although it's on my shelf. lol.