Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Help


This was an awesome book! Awesome! When I got home from school yesterday, I was only half way through it and finished it before I went to bed.

It's the early 60s and 3 women form an unusual alliance. There is Skeeter Phelan, a white woman who has just finished college and has returned home to try to find a job. She wants to be a writer but there aren't many opportunities for her in Mississippi.

Then there is Aibilene, Skeeter's friend's black maid. She is dignified, loving and intelligent but is stifled by the limitations placed on blacks.

The third member of this group is Minny, also a black housemaid. She's a great cook but her smart mouth keeps getting her fired.

For various reasons they unite to tell the story of what being the "colored help" is really like.

WARNING:
Don't finish this wonderfully written book right before going to bed. You'll be up all night thinking about these courageous characters.

4 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Thanks for the great review, Linda. I definitely want to read it.

Roger Owen Green said...

Interesting; I'm not familiar with this book, but sounds interesting.

I thought your item was going to be about the Beatles! Silly me.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I don't think I've seen a bad review of this book yet! I need to read it.

Paula Weston said...

Sounds intriguing - and I love the cover!

(Also, I notice you're reading Dead Until Dark at the moment. Me too! Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Not sure if I've done too many vampire-themed reviews this year, so I may wait a while before posting on it...)