Thursday, June 26, 2008

Readers





What, in your opinion, is the definition of a “reader.” A person who indiscriminately reads everything in sight? A person who reads BOOKS? A person who reads, period, no matter what it is? … Or, more specific? Like the specific person who’s reading something you wrote?
When my son and his girlfriend visited us at camp for a couple weeks, she and I spent quite a bit of time together while the guys were out fishing. The first thing I asked her was, "Do you read?" Then I laughed because of how that sounded. Of course, I knew she could read but wanted to know if she loved reading. To me, that's what a reader is: someone who is gaga over books and reads voraciously. Unfortunately, she wasn't a book reader but did have magazines that she read. Does that make her a reader? Not in my book! (They have since broken up and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the next one WILL be a reader!)

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Good question. I agree with your answer. A reader is not someone who reads occasionally and just the newspaper or magazines.

Anonymous said...

I think we define "reader" in the same way. Magazines are ok...but they don't make you a "reader!"