Tuesday, November 29, 2011

11/22/63

You know how I can tell a book was good?  When I have to wait a few days after finishing it to begin a new one.  I finished this one Saturday night and couldn't even think about starting something new until Monday evening.

This is vintage Stephen King.  This is why I fell in love with his writing forty years ago.  This is falling into a book and letting it consume me.  This is talking about it to anyone who will listen.

I was in the ninth grade when Kennedy was shot so I remember it well.  This book took me right back to that era because King captures the culture so well. 

Jake Epping is an English teacher in Lisbon Falls, Maine.  Al Templeton owns a diner built over an abandoned chemical plant.  In his back room is a portal to September 9, 1958.  Al tried staying in the past long enough to prevent Lee Harvey Oswald from assassinating President Kennedy but he developed cancer and couldn't stay.  Now, he begs Jake to go through the portal to do it for him.

Besides the time travel aspect, there isn't much science fiction or scary, gory scenes.  This is just a good, old-fashioned story written by an expert craftsman.  It's a long book but I wanted it to be longer. 

Of course, we know going into it that Jake will not be successful.  So, it's fun to imagine how King will end the book.  And the ending is masterful! 

5 comments:

Darlene said...

I just bought this the other day. I think I'll read it over Christmas. I can't wait!

Darlene said...

Just stopping by to wish you a very Merry Christmas and all the best in the New Year Linda!

Sara Kovach / Dare to be Different - Teach! said...

I totally agree with you - even to the point of not wanting to pick something else up for a few days!!! I absolutely love the book. I am always drawn to historical fiction, and also to Stephen King, and this book did not let me down - both aspects in one!

HerbieGrandma said...

I was in the 7th grade when Kennedy was killed. I have had this book on my reading stand for weeks. You have made me decide to read it next.
Thanks!

George Komiotis said...

Thanks for this!